Orthodontics is ideal for many adults seeking the smile they have always desired or parents who want to invest in getting their child’s bite and smile just right.
Dr.Denis Field has been our in house orthodontist for over 10 years and is a lecturer and consultant in Oral Health & Development department at the Cork University Dental School and Hospital.
Orthodontics is the practice of preventing and correcting irregularities of the teeth and jaws, by the use of braces. An orthodontist is a specialist in the diagnosis, prevention and treatment of dental and facial irregularities. They undergo additional years of specialised education beyond dental school to learn the proper way of aligning and straightening teeth to deliver both function and aesthetics.
Problems with teeth can be inherited or caused by factors such as:
- Crowded or spaced teeth
- Irregular position of teeth (ectopic teeth)
- Extra or missing teeth (hypodontia)
- Thumb sucking
- Dental disease such as decay or gum disease
- Premature loss of baby teeth
- Accidents or trauma
Benefits of orthodontics
- Good appearance, great smile and improved self esteem
- Straight teeth are easier to clean reducing the risk of decay and gum disease
- Reduced risk of accidental injury to protruding teeth
- Re-arranging teeth to improve the bite
- Elimination of stress on jaw joints and abnormal tooth wear
- Preparation of teeth for future restorative care